How to appeal against a planning decision
Only the person who made the application for planning permission can appeal the decision.There are three different types of appeal:
- appeals to do with planning applications
- appeals against an enforcement notice
- appeals when a lawful development certificate application is refused (or not decided)
- householder applications is 12 weeks from the date of the decision notice
- non-determination (when a decision has not been made) is 6 months from the date the decision should have been made
- all other cases is 6 months from the date of the decision notice
You can make an appeal, search for an appeal, or comment on appeal, online with the Planning Portal. They also provide further guidance and explain how to appeal by post if you cannot apply online.
The Planning Portal directs your appeal to the Government's Planning Inspectorate so they may give your appeal to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.