Do I need planning permission?

Single storey rear extensions

You can make certain types of minor changes to your home without applying for planning permission. These are called permitted development rights.

If you want to build a single storey rear extension of:

  • up to six metres for attached houses 
  • up to eight metres for detached houses 
  • and your home is not in a conservation area or within a site of special scientific interest 

you do not need to apply for planning permission. Instead, you need to:

  1. notify us in writing of your plans before you start the work (you can download, complete and send us the form 'Notification for Prior Approval of a Proposed Larger Home Extension' from the Planning Portal website to do this)
  2. include a written description of the proposed extension
  3. include a plan showing the site and the proposed extension (we recommend you provide a floor plan and elevation plans)

There is a fee payable for this process see planning fees. We have 42 days from receipt of your email to get back to you. Once we have received your letter, we will consult any neighbours that immediately adjoin your property. Your neighbours have 21 days to object.

If your neighbours do not object, we will notify you within 42 days that no objections have been received. You can then begin work on the extension.

If your neighbours do object, we will assess the impact of the extension upon the amenity of all those who adjoin your property.  We may ask you to provide further drawings and application details to help us, and your neighbours, better understand your plans.  We then decide whether to approve or refuse your application. We have to do this within 42 days. If we refuse your application you still have the right to appeal.

If we do not contact you with our decision within 42 days, you can begin work on the extension.

You can complete the works at any time. Those with prior approval no longer have to complete the development by 30 May 2019, including where this is set out in a letter granting prior approval. 

Read the legislation on single storey extensions