How to apply for a personal licence
You can apply for a personal licence by completing the downloadable form and return to us. You must include the following with your application:
- application fee of £37 - cheques should be made payable to The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames
- two photographs:
- taken against a light background so your features are distinguishable against the background
- passport sized (45 millimetres by 35 millimetres), full face uncovered and without sunglasses or head covering (unless you wear a head covering in connection with your religious beliefs)
- on photographic paper
- one of the photographs must be endorsed, with a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant, by one of the following:
- the chief executive of the licensing justices for the relevant licensing authority
- a solicitor or notary
- a person of standing in the community i.e. bank or building society official
- a police officer, a civil servant or a minister of religion
- an individual with a professional qualification
- a certificate demonstrating you have completed and passed an accredited personal licence qualification. To view the qualifications currently recognised under the Licensing Act visit - Home Office – Accredited personal licence qualification providers
- one of the following certificates:
- a criminal conviction certificate
- a criminal record certificate
- the results of a subject access search of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service
The certificate, or search results, submitted with your application must have been issued within a month before the date of application. You can apply for a criminal record check through the Disclosure and Barring Service website.
Any enquiries regarding this should be directed to the Disclosure and Barring Service:
e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Telephone: 0300 020 0190
Return your application, payment and supporting documents to: the Licensing Team.