Animal welfare licensing

Businesses that require a licence

If you have a business that involves animals, you may need a licence.

We issue licences designed to promote and ensure the welfare of animals offered for sale or otherwise used in commercial enterprises.

Unless otherwise stated, you can apply for the following licences online with GOV.UK:

  • Animal boarding establishments - to comply with the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • Riding establishments - to comply with the Riding Establishments Act 1964
  • Pet shops - to comply with the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Performing animals - to comply with the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925
  • Zoos - to comply with the Zoo Licensing Act 1981