Street trading licences

Temporary Street Trading

If you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on or within 7 meters of the public highway you will require a Street Trading licence. Licensable activity includes:

  • the sale, display or offering of goods or services for sale, this includes selling items for charity

  • the placing of tables and chairs on the highway

Under the London Local Authorities Act 1990 (as amended) anybody who sells items or services on, or within 7 meters of the public highway (usually a road or footpath) will require a Street Trading licence. This will include face painters and traders offering rides such as bouncy castles or carousels,  as well as food vendors and persons selling other goods including those selling items for charitable purposes.

In addition to our permanent pitches we offer two temporary trading options for people who would like to be able to trade at locally organised events.

Individual single day street trading permits

Where a small number of traders will be operating at an event such as a fun day or fete, each trader can apply individually for a single day trading licence. An application form will need to be completed and submitted along with details of the traders public liability insurance (minimum of £1m), a site plan showing the proposed trading location, and a colour passport style photograph (this can be taken with a smartphone and provided electronically.)

If food is being sold, details of any relevant food hygiene or handling training must be detailed on the application form.

Speciality Market licences

For larger events organisers may wish to apply for a Speciality Market licence. A Speciality Market licence allows an organiser to apply for, and hold, a single licence to cover all trading at their event.

Once obtained, event organisers can bring in traders at any time up to the day of the event (staying within the maximum limit on number as applied for) and they retain control over who trades on the day. Stall holders do not need to make individual applications, and the organiser may find that this type of licence provides a cheaper option than individual licensing for the traders.

Proof of public liability insurance cover (minimum £2m) for all stalls must be provided as part of the application along with a site plan showing the location of the stalls and traders.

Selling food

If any traders wish to sell raw/uncooked meat or fish, fruit, vegetables, deli food or prepared/cooked food of any kind, they & each of their assistants will be required to have a valid Food Hygiene Certificate at the appropriate level. They are also required to register their business with the Council where they prepare the food for sale.

There must be hand washing facilities provided with water at a suitable temperature, soap or detergent and means of drying hands. Where only low risk open foods such as biscuits, sweets, olives etc. are for sale and utensils are used for handling food, or where food is fully wrapped, a wash hand basin may not be required. In this instance it may be acceptable to provide and use antiseptic wipes/liquid and/or disposable gloves.

More information on food safety and registering as a food business, please refer to the running a food business page.

Selling alcohol

If you wish to sell alcohol, you will need a Temporary Event Notice in addition to any temporary street trading licence.


Our application forms are all available on our application forms page. You must ensure that your application is submitted at least 10 working days in advance of the event.

Once we receive your completed application form and the correct fee, we will issue a licence which must be displayed at the stall or market when it is operating.


Details of the fees payable in respect of temporary street trading licences are available on our fees page.

Road closures and/or parking bay suspensions

The granting of a temporary street trading licence does not permit road closures or suspension of parking bays. Applications for road closures and/or suspension of parking bays will need to be made separately to the Council’s Highways Department and will incur separate fees and charges.

You can apply for parking suspensions online through the Parking suspensions and dispensations page.

You can apply for road closures online through the Apply to close a road page.