Register a death

Register a death - when and how?

Please firstly refer for the Emergency information on our home page

You must register a death with the local registrar for the district where the death occurred within five days (the registrar may agree to delay this). 

The doctor who treated the person during their last illness will usually issue a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death.

If the person died in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames you must register the death with Kingston Register Office where the records will be held. 

If it is not convenient for you to visit Kingston Register Office, you can make a declaration to register the death at any register office. They will send the information to the Kingston Register Office. You may have to wait a few days for the paperwork needed to make funeral arrangements.  

Registering a death at Kingston Register Office

You do not need an appointment at Kingston Register Office to register a death. We are open between 9am and 4pm. 

Please bring supporting documentation with you (e.g. passport, driving licence, utility bill, birth and marriage certificates) which will help ensure the information recorded is accurate.

However, if any of these documents are not available, the registrar can still go ahead with the death registration.

Take the medical certificate showing the cause of death (signed by a doctor) with you to Kingston Register Office.

If available (but don’t worry if not), also take the person’s:

  • birth certificate
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate

The following people can register a death

  • a relative
  • someone who was with the person when they died
  • someone who lives at the address where the person died
  • someone who is arranging the funeral (but not the undertaker)

Information the registrar will need about the person who has died

  • date of death
  • where the death occurred
  • full name (including any other names they may have been known by)
  • date of birth
  • where they were born
  • occupation
  • address
  • your name and address

Documents the registrar will give you

  • certificate for burial or cremation (the green form) - give this to the funeral director
  • certificate (form BD8) which is which is used for benefit purposes

If the death has been reported to the coroner, the registrar will tell you whether or not a cremation or burial certificate has been issued.

Recording of spouses and civil partners

In the case of a married man or widower, the registrar will record the wife’s full name and occupation.
In the case of a married woman or widow, the registrar will record the maiden surname and the husband’s full name and occupation.
In the case of a civil partner or surviving civil partner, the registrar will record the partner’s full name and occupation.

Deaths reported to the coronor

Wait to hear from the Coroner's Officer before you go the registry office. If the death has gone to inquest you will not need to register the death.

Further information regarding coronor services and coronor investigations is available on GOV.UK website

Cost of registering a death

There is no charge to register a death with Kingston Register Office. Certificates cost £11 each, and to preserve our stocks during the current emergency situation, we will be limiting the number of certificates issued for each registration to 2 copies.  If you would like a copy of a death certificate after the death has been registered, this can be done at any time, please visit our ordering a copy of certifcate page.

Banks, building societies and insurance companies will require copies of death certificates.

Correcting a death certificate

A correction can only be made when the information on the certificate is wrong (eg mistake made in a date of a death). There is a fee for this service.

You should contact the register office for the area where the death was registered to find out if it is a mistake they can correct. Alternatively, you can contact the General Register Office (GRO) on 0300 123 1837 who can also confirm where your application needs to be sent.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out:

  • what corrections can be made
  • who can apply
  • how to apply
  • how much it costs 
  • how long an application takes

Deaths registered following a coroner's inquest 

The guidance at GOV.UK will not apply if you want to correct a death registration which was originally registered following a Coroner’s Inquest. For advice on how to apply for a correction where there has been an inquest, you should contact the register office in the area where the death occurred.