Correct a birth certificate

You can only correct a birth certificate when the information on the certificate is wrong (eg a mistake was made when recording a parent’s occupation). There is a fee payable for this service.

Unfortunately, you can’t change a birth certificate to show new information (eg changing your name after getting married again). But you can apply to re-register the birth if the natural parents get married at a later date.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out:

  • what corrections can be made
  • who can apply
  • how to apply
  • how much it costs 
  • how long an application takes