Re-Registration of birth

You must re-register your child’s birth if you want to add the natural father’s details to the birth record.

The process for re-registering your child's birth depends on whether you:

  • are not married
  • or got married after the birth

Re-register to add father's details if you are not married

If you are unmarried and would like the natural father’s details added to the birth record you can apply for a re-registration:

  • call us for an appointment for both parents to visit the register office and sign the new birth registration. You can make an appointment to visit the Kingston Register office using the online booking service

  • complete an application form to re-register a child’s birth (GRO185 form) at GOV.UK

  • both parents should sign the form and take it with them to the appointment. After the birth has been re-registered you can order a new birth certificate

Re-register if you have married after the birth

If you and your partner have married each other since your baby’s birth and want the birth record to show your son or daughter as a child of your marriage then you need to:

  • complete an 'Application for re-registration following parents’ marriage’ (LA1 form) at GOV.UK (both parents should sign the form)

  • call us to book an appointment  to visit the Kingston Register Office

  • one of the parents must take the signed form to the appointment and sign the new birth registration.

  • after the birth has been re-registered you can order a new birth certificate

Cost for Re-registering

It is free to re-register a birth. However, if your require the full birth certificate, it costs £11 per copy.