Free travel for school childrenAll school children:
- under the age of 18
- who live in a London borough
- and are in full time education
are able to travel free on London buses and trams under the Mayor of London free travel initiative. Your child needs a 16+ Oyster photocard. You can apply for an Oyster photocard online with TfL.
Help with travel costs
We may help with travel costs for children who have long school journeys or low income families.
We may help with travel costs if:
- your child is primary school aged, attending a (nearest suitable) school over two miles away and the schedule journey time is over 45 minutes
- your child is secondary school aged, attending a (nearest suitable) school over three miles away (two to six miles for low income families) and the scheduled journey is over 75 minutes
- your child attends the nearest suitable school, chosen on the grounds of religion or belief, up to 15 miles away
To apply for help with travel expenses to and from school please complete the form and return to:
Contracts and Support Officer
Learning and Children’s Services
If your application for transport assistance is rejected and you are not satisfied that the final decision reflects the needs of your child, you may appeal.
Children with Special Educational Needs
If your child has special educational needs and is unable to make their journey from home to school without help we may provide transport assistance. To find out more please visit: Travel assistance for children with Special Educational Needs