Extra funding for childcare settings

Nurseries, preschools and childminders can claim extra funding

From April 2015, nurseries, preschools and childminders can claim extra funding (called Early Years Pupil Premium or EYPP).

Parents and carers - you may be asked for information

If you apply for early education funding for your three or four year old, the childcare provider or school nursery may ask you for information about your income or your child. Your childcare provider is trying to find out if they can claim EYPP funding based on your child's place.

We hope you're able to provide the information because if the EYPP criteria are met, the funding the provider receives will help improve learning for all the children in the setting.

What is EYPP funding for?

Nurseries, preschools and childminders can claim EYPP funding. The extra funding is paid directly to the childcare provider to help them raise the quality of children’s early education in their setting. The childcare provider will plan the most effective way of using the money to promote children’s learning experience. They could:

  • buy new equipment and resources
  • employ extra staff
  • invest in extra training for staff

They will have to demonstrate that they have used the funding effectively when they are inspected by Ofsted.

When can the childcare provider claim this funding?

The childcare provider can claim this funding for some three and four year olds receiving early education funding in their setting if:

the family receives at least one of the following:
  • Income Support
  • income-based Job seeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
or their child:
  • has been looked after for one day or more (looked after means taken into the care of the local authority)
  • has been adopted from care
  • has left care under a special guardianship order or residence order