The apprenticeship scheme
Earn while you Learn!
The Royal Borough of Kingston is proud to offer a wide range of apprenticeship schemes for anyone aged 16 and over and not in full time education. Apprentices with Kingston will combine full-time work and simultaneously study for a nationally recognised qualification under the management and guidance of experienced staff. The work based qualification can range from GCSE or equivalent to degree level. This is an ideal opportunity for those leaving education or seeking to start a career in a new field and gain new experience.
We can promise:
- you will benefit from on the job learning and development, gaining invaluable experience and picking up practical knowledge in the workplace in order to add to your skill set and support your next career move.
- the end of your apprenticeship will act as a stepping stone into the jobs market making you stand out more to potential employers and best of all, avoiding the ever-increasing student debts many young people face today.
- increased opportunities to continue your career within the council with the opportunity to work your way up towards more senior positions, benefiting from competitive wages.
- working for a leading Local Authority within the South London Partnership collaboration.
You can apply to be an apprentice for Royal Borough of Kingston if you:
- are aged 16 or over and not in full time education
- are a UK resident
- are an enthusiastic, determined and motivated individual with a desire to work and learn.
- are willing to work full time and allocate one day per week for study towards one of the four types of apprenticeships which can take between one to four years to complete (depending on the level)
Types of apprenticeship we offer:
- Intermediate Level - this is equivalent to five GCSE's. You will work towards relevant work-based learning qualifications and will lead to a Level 2 qualification.
- Advanced Level- this is equivalent to two A Levels. Similar to the work based learning for Intermediate apprentices but on a Level 3 competence.
- Higher Level 4 and 5 - equivalent to HNC, HND of Foundation Degree level.
- Higher Level 6 and 7 - this is equivalent to a Bachelors and Masters Degree level.
Your qualification at the end of your apprenticeship will include a competencies qualification, a technical knowledge certificate and either key skills or functional skills if required.
Apprenticeship benefits at Kingston Council:
- a starting salary of £9,951 rising to £12,579 in the second year
- 23 days paid annual leave
- concessionary holiday
- training and development
- gain qualifications
- online staff discount scheme is available for our staff, providing discounts at over 1,500 retailers, featured discounts at selected shops and discounted shopping vouchers.
- childcare vouchers
- cycle to work scheme
- interest free season ticket loans
Which areas can you work as an apprentice in Kingston Council?
- business administration and office work
- human resources
- youth engagement
- customer services
- environmental and leisure works
- adult social care and elderly care
- young people's learning and education services
- finance surveying
The main training provider that apprentices can study through whilst gaining their qualifications is Kingston Adult Education.
Further information can be found on the National Apprenticeships website.