Landlord rights and responsibilities
Rights and responsibilities
Advice and guides on GOV.UK
As a landlord, you have certain rights and responsibilities when you rent out your property to private tenants.
- Find out your rights and responsibilities
- Find out the rules on tenancy deposits and protection schemes
- Find out how to evict tenants
- Find out the rules on tenancy agreements
- Rent out a room in your home
How we can help
As a private landlord, we can give you free advice on any rental issue including:
- house in multiple occupation licensing
- lettings (Private Leasing Scheme) (Tenant Finder)
- landlord accreditation scheme
Report an empty property
If you see a property in the borough that's been empty for a few months, let us know.
We can then contact the owner to try and bring the property back into use. We can also keep an eye on it to prevent squatters or vandals.
Other sources of help and information
Residential Enforcement & Renewal Team
Contat the Residential Enforcement Team