Things to consider

To assess the scale and impact of your event along with the support you may need, we will be relying on the details provided to us in your event management plan.

This will be sent to you following your initial enquiry form.

Points to consider when planning your event:

  • the timing and duration of your event.
  • when attendees are most likely to arrive?
  • venue accessibility - is it easy to find and get into?
  • check any planned transport closures with Transport for London
  • is the event free, or ticketed?
  • how will tickets be sold, or booked, if relevant?
  • your budget, as costs can escalate quickly.
  • contacting someone with experience in running your type of event, for tips and advice at an early stage
  • the time needed for applications to be processed. Depending on the scale and type of event, applications may need to be submitted 10 - 12 months ahead for the necessary planning steps to be completed. Our event timeline provides more information (link to the timeline info)

Additional Information and guidance are provided on the following key areas:

Responsibility for safety
Event staff and security
First aid
Waste and litter
Welfare and sanitation services
Temporary structures
Licensing and catering
Noise and vibration
Diversity and inclusion

Responsibility for safety

As the event organiser (and in some cases the landowner), you are ultimately responsible for everyone's safety at your event.

On the day of the event, you will need to have a named person responsible for safety. this could be you or a nominated person, for larger events you might want to put a team together to support the person responsible for safety. You will need to look at the potential hazards identified for your event and make sure that you have the appropriate knowledge, understanding and skills to deal with them.

All events are different and it is impossible to provide specific guidance for every possible eventuality. However, we have minimum safety standards that we expect you to follow.

To support your understanding of safety and legal responsibility further advice can be found within the Managing Events Safely guidance, Health and Safety at Work Act 1973 or the Construction Regulations 2015. If your event contains motor sports please read the Guide for motorsports event organisers.

Event staff & security

Event organisers are responsible for adequate staffing arrangements, whether using paid or voluntary staff such as stewards, to support the event. You may need professionally trained security staff to keep attendees/general public safe.

Completing your event risk assessment will help to identify potential hazards that could cause harm to people attending your event. The risk assessment supports you to plan resources to prevent those hazards from causing harm, this can include things like the number of stewards and security staff you will have on the day. The risk assessment will be part of the event management plan which we will send to you once we have received your initial enquiry form.

Further information can be found within the Managing Crowds Safely guidance, Occupiers Liability Act 1957 and 1984, Private Security Industry Act 2001 and the Human Rights Act 1998 about your duty to others.


The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames welcomes visitors to enjoy their time in Kingston again and again.  As a popular destination, we recommend new visitors travelling by car check our online information so they know where to park and how to park before arriving to an event.

Car parks within the borough

Once you have chosen the location of your event, make sure you have considered where your event visitors may find available parking - please refer to our guide on car parks within the borough.

Visitors will need to read the tariff information when entering the car parks to fully understand the parking charges and the terms and conditions of use. We offer many ways to pay including, debit/credit card, paying by phone and cash.

Parking suspensions and dispensations

As an event organiser, you may find a space with restricted parking that could be useful to your event, such as providing a loading/unloading area for event staff. In such a case you can apply to us to request a parking suspension. Daily fees may apply. More details are on our parking suspensions and dispensations webpage.

Parking on the highway

If you or your visitors choose to park in the borough streets, we recommend checking and understanding the nearby parking signage. There are many pay and display bays, shared use bays, and resident permit bays available. Vehicles need to be correctly parked within the bay markings when used.

Cars parked in residential areas must not obstruct driveways and access to properties. Drivers need to avoid parking with wheels on the footway unless a sign and bay markings indicate this is permitted.  

Do give your anticipated visitors links to our parking information so they can plan their visit to Kingston and help to avoid penalty charges.

First aid

Your event management plan needs to include details of the first aid provision for your event. You need to include details of all first aid procedures, including how to deal with a first aid-related incident at the event and accident reporting arrangements.

For larger events you will need to consider having space for an ambulance to be onsite at all times and speaking to the local ambulance service about access in and out of the site and allocation of resources. For smaller events, you might want to consider appointing a competent organisation to provide medical management like St Johns ambulance. It is advised that the first aid post designated at your event is clearly signposted and provided with easy access for spectators. Make sure that all persons assisting at the event know where the first aid post is and, where appropriate, the identity of the first-aider.

Further advice and guidance can be found on the St John Ambulance Event Services and Health and Safety Executive websites.

Waste and litter

It is essential your event has waste management arrangements. If your event meets the following criteria, you will need to appoint a waste contractor to remove the waste and recycling from your event and manage the disposal of the waste (they may also provide the litter bins):

Small community events with commercial food or drink vendors must ensure that vendors make arrangements to remove their waste from the site. Otherwise, a commercial waste contractor needs to be appointed to remove all waste from the event. To arrange waste removal you can appoint a licenced waste contractor, or use our partner, the South London Waste Partnership (Veolia). They can be contacted via email or by telephone 020 3567 5325.

Small community events may take non-commercial rubbish, recycling and litter to the Household Reuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC) off Villiers Road - please check our guidance on the use of the HRRC and comply with the site’s terms and conditions. Waste disposal via the HRRC means that the cost of disposal is covered by the council. The council is unable to provide collections of waste from event sites.

We recommend that all organisers arrange to recycle for their events.


All event sites must be returned to the condition they were found in. For all large (1500 - 5000 participants) and medium (500 - 1500 participants) events, you must contact the council’s street cleansing teams for an assessment of possible street cleansing costs.

Small events (up to 500 participants) must have arrangements and equipment for clearing and disposing of litter after an event such as litter pickers, bin bags and gloves. Small events can make use of the Council’s HRRC for non-commercial litter as detailed above.

To arrange waste removal you can appoint a licenced waste contractor, or use our partner, the South London Waste Partnership (Veolia): you can contact them at or 020 3567 5325.

To arrange street cleansing  for medium and large events, please contact

Community clean-up events

There are separate arrangements for community clean-up events and we will be able to offer support and equipment for your event. Please contact

Welfare and sanitation services

You will need to provide details to us of your arrangements for the following:

  • sanitary provision
  • lost children/vulnerable people
  • site cleaning
  • waste disposal

Guidance will be provided in your event management plan.


You and all your contractors and performers will need public liability cover of at least £10 million (lower levels can be considered for small events, subject to an analysis of the risks). This cover is in respect of any one claim, or a series of claims arising out of any one cause for:

  • any loss or damage to property, or
  • any bodily injury, including death, illness and disease.

Your arranged cover needs to extend to protect the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames against any liability, loss, costs, expenses, claims, or proceedings whatsoever, arising in respect of the above.

If you are employing staff you must provide evidence that you have employers’ liability insurance cover.

For insurance queries please call 020 8547 5608 or email

Temporary structures

Any marquee, tent or temporary structure (e.g a stage/tower) erected as part of an event must be appropriate for the intended use, be in good condition and erected by a competent person/s. Materials used in temporary structures need to be treated to make sure they are flame resistant. Ask the contractor for the certificates to confirm this.

Any temporary structure that is load bearing, needs to be erected in strict compliance with health and safety legislation and accompanied by a certificate from the installer. Make sure you are aware of any appropriate foul weather precautions that the supplier provides (eg safe wind speeds, snow loading limits).

Where there is a risk of fire, e.g. cooking using liquid petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders or petrol/diesel generators, you need to arrange safe storage of flammable materials including bulk storage, if appropriate. The London Fire Brigade and the council’s Health and Safety team can provide further advice on the safe storage of combustible materials. For further information about fire risks please refer to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety Order) 2005. If holding a fireworks display please refer to Firework Regulations 2004 or HSE guidance.

We recommend all event organisers refer to Health and Safety Executive for further advice on temporary demountable structures.

When using mains electricity please arrange installation by a competent electrical contractor. All electrical systems need to be designed with the location in mind, with suitable protection against weather conditions (where required), and protected by a suitable residual current device (RCD) with a rating of 30mA.

Special/temporary structures include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • marquees and large tents
  • flag poles
  • radio relay/transmission assemblies
  • observation towers and platforms
  • chain link fencing over 3 metres high
  • petrol station canopies and illuminated freestanding signs
  • machinery supporting structures (e.g. conveyors, silos, cladding, platforms)
  • flues and ducts freestanding or attached to a building
  • temporary scaffold (not building site)
  • plant screens on support frames
  • advertising hoardings

Licensing and catering

You may require a licence if you want to carry out any of the following activities at your event:

  • selling or supplying alcohol
  • providing entertainment, such as music, film exhibition, or performance of a play
  • serving hot food or drink between 11 pm and 5 am
  • selling, or offering to sell, any items or services on the street
  • offering tattooing, piercing, massage, manicure and pedicure and other special treatments
  • providing a raffle/tombola or other gambling activity
  • providing entertainment involving animals or exhibiting animals

If you intend to carry out any of the above activities further details on what you are required to do can be found within our licensing guidelines. There is a range of temporary permissions available that you can apply for to cover these activities.

If you intend to offer your guests food during the event please do consider that all your food business operators must:

  • be registered with the relevant local authority
  • ensure food handlers are trained as appropriate (for example, food handlers who handle and/or prepare open high-risk foods, have a minimum of Level 2 Food Safety in Catering)
  • have evidence of a written Food Safety Management System, for example, Safer Food Better Business or an alternative.

Noise and vibration

It is important to be aware of the level of noise your event may cause and the potential impact on the wider community. Music events with low-frequency bass music can cause disturbance from vibration. You may need to carry out regular monitoring of noise levels, include limiters in sound systems, provide acoustic barriers, or carry out detailed acoustic assessments.

You must take precautions to protect anyone who could be affected by excessive noise levels from your event. Your event should not interfere with the ability of people in the surrounding area to use and enjoy their property, Also, you need to be aware of the noise at work regulations, which protect workers and volunteers from excessive noise at work. Please be prepared to provide protective equipment to those likely to be exposed to loud noise for long periods.

We recommend event organisers refer to the Noise Control at Concerts Guidance.

Diversity and inclusion  

Kingston is proud to be an ethnically and culturally diverse borough. We encourage events hosted here to be culturally inclusive and suitable for people of all faiths, ethnicities and cultural beliefs. Cultural sensitivity needs to be considered when planning your event

You have a legal duty and moral responsibility to make your event accessible to all to the best of your ability. This means considering the needs of disabled people in your planning to make sure your event is accessible to all.

What measures are suitable for your event will depend upon a number of factors, including; whether your event is indoors or outside, involves staged performances, the length of the event and the overall capacity of your venue.

For more information and guidance you can read the Equality Act 2010

Things to consider could include:

  • access: Does your site offer suitable access? What transport and parking facilities exist for disabled people? Is English the second language and if so, will translated materials be available?
  • facilities: Do you offer accessible toilets? If your event involves staged performances, will you have a viewing area for wheelchair users? Are toilets communal or separated by gender?
  • event staff: Have event stewards/staff received equality-related training (e.g. helping disabled and older people)? Will your staff and volunteers be briefed on the best way to include disabled people, or deal with other needs at the event?
  • support: Have you taken into account that many disabled people will have a paid carer accompanying them? At ticketed events, it is best to allow the carer to accompany them without charge.
  • communications: Your communications need to allow everyone who wants to participate to have access to information and not be disadvantaged by the way you communicate. For example, is your material printed in a clear typeface, using reasonable font size and in an easy-to-understand layout? Do people have more than one way to gather information about the event? It is good practice to have a telephone number to call for those who are visually impaired.  Dependent on your event, are you able to offer services, such as British Sign Language interpreters, captioning, touch tours, audio descriptions, and translations?

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your initial enquiry form you will receive a confirmation email. We will respond to your application within 10 working days, with further information and an event management plan for you to complete. Once we have your completed event management plan, we will pass this on to our Safety Advisory Group members for review. Normally we will make a note of your plans and possibly send you some safety advice. In some cases, we or other organisations that have been consulted (i.e. emergency services) may ask you to change some of your plans to improve the safety at the event.

For larger or more complex events, using your event management plan, the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) will work with you to identify if your event is likely to have more challenges (e.g. road closures, licensing, health and safety, etc) and relevant officers/partners may wish to meet directly with you to discuss plans and arrangements in more detail.

Last Modified: 26/07/2022 10:43:41