About the Old Court House

Vaulted Ceilings in the Old Court House



Steeped in history, Kingston’s beautifully restored, Grade II listed Magistrates’ Court is the perfect place make your marriage or civil partnership official.

Each year, more than 250 couples choose to tie the knot in the one of our modern ceremony rooms that retain the features and grandeur associated with the building’s former use and importance.


The Old Court House is situated within the lower ground floor Kingston’s historic Guildhall. It has its own side entrance and is easily accessed from Kingston town centre or the ancient marketplace.


The Old Court House is available all year round but is closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays.


Built in 1935, the Guildhall brought together Kingston's important administrative functions. The purpose built Magistrates Courts were included in the neo-Georgian red brick design by Maurice Webb, which up until 2011, issued sentences for summary offences and heard initial criminal proceedings before referring them to the Crown Court.

After its doors closed, a £3m restoration programme began to restore and preserve the historical courtroom features and return the building to its former splendour.  The Old Court House as it is now known, opened in September 2015.

Make an enquiry

To make an enquiry about the Old Court House, arrange a visit or book a ceremony room, please email [email protected].