Helping someone make decisions

When someone is unable deal with their own finances, care or other personal matters, it may be necessary for someone else to manage these for them.

Someone's who is unable to manage their affairs may use:

  • a power of attorney
  • an appointee
  • a deputy

Power of attorney

Ordinary power of attorney

An ordinary power of attorney is someone you nominate to make decisions on your behalf, even when you are able to do so yourself. Find out more about ordinary power of attorney on the Citizens Advice website

Lasting power of attorney (LPA)

A lasting power of attorney is someone you've chosen to manage your affairs in the event you become unable to make decisions for yourself. Find out more information about appointing or becoming a lasting power of attorney on GOV.UK

Becoming a Department of Work & Health Appointee

You can apply to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to become an appointee so you can manage somebody's welfare benefits and state pension. As an appointee you will be responsible for signing benefit claim forms, informing the DWP of relevant changes of circumstance, and spending the person's benefits on their behalf and in their best interest.

Becoming a Deputy for Property and Financial Affairs

You’ll do things like pay the person’s bills or organise their pension.

A deputy is more appropriate to manage the affairs of someone that has additional sources of income other than benefits. They also undertake responsibility for the management of all of a person's financial affairs if they become incapable of doing so themselves. This includes their: 

  • savings
  • pensions
  • all sources of income
  • assets, such as property and valuables
  • investments
  • savings

Find out more about becoming a deputy on GOV.UK.

Client Finances Team

If a person has been identified requiring the help of either an appointee or deputy, and there’s no family member or friend available to act as their representative, then Kingston Council’s Client Finances Team can apply to take on the role of appointee/deputy, or apply to the Court for a deputy to be appointed.  

The Client Finances Team only takes referrals from Kingston Council Adult Social Care colleagues for appointeeship and deputyship. It does not take queries, requests or referrals from members of the public.

Last Modified: 11/05/2021 16:32:11