Bike Checks, Bike Marking and Maintenance Courses
Dr. Bike is led by our experienced Bike Mechanics, they run a 10 minute check of each bike over a two or four hour session and make repairs within a 10 minute slot.
Mechanics will carry out Standard “M” checks of each bike, and can fix a range of issues including; adjusting brake levers, indexing gears and lubricating key mechanical parts.
They are totally independent and so any extensive issues that cannot be fixed onsite will be truthfully reported to the bike owner for them to manage.
Next Free Public Dr Bikes + Free Police Bike Marking where marked
- Thursday 21 September - 16.00 - 19.00 - Surbiton Station + Bike Marking
- Saturday 23 September - 11.00 - 16.00 - Kingston High Street, opposite Bentalls + Bike Marking
- Tuesday 28 September - 12.00 - 15.00 - Kingston University, Knights Park + Bike Marking
- Tuesday 28 September - 11.00 - 15.00 - Kingston Council, Green in front of Guildhall
- Saturday 07 October - 11.00 - 15.00 - Kinsgton Station Cycle Hub, The Hive, Kingston Hill
- Saturday 14 October - 11.00 - 16.00 - Kingston High Street, opposite Bentalls
- Wednesday 18 October - 11.00 - 15.00 - Kingston University, Kingston Hill
- Saturday 04 November - 11:00 - 15.00 - Kingston High Street, opposite Bentalls
- Tuesday 21 November - Kingston University - Penrhyn Road
If you are interested in holding a private Dr Bike event for your workplace or school, please email the Cycling Team at email@example.com. See costs below.
Additional Bike Marking Events
Bike Security Marking and Registration with recognised system BikeRegister®
Bikes are over 80% less likely to be stolen when displaying the BikeRegister barcode label.
The marking and registering is carried out by Police trained Instructors We only use the recognised bike register system with Selectamark Security System Tamper Resistant QR Barcode labels featuring a unique BikeRegister ID and secure owner data storage.
- BikeRegister is the UK’s national cycle database
- Used to search for stolen bikes by every UK Police Force via secure online Police portal, available 24/7
- Aimed at reducing thefts and helping the police return stolen bikes to owners, and in turn, securing convictions
- When a bike is stopped or found, the labels can be scanned with a smartphone and identified on the BikeRegister website, this makes bikes with these labels a huge deterrent to thieves.
- Ownership can be securely transferred by the keeper when a bike is legitimacy sold
- Over 1,200,000 bikes now registered
Bike Security Marking Sessions are available privately. See costs below.
Public Maintenance Course dates for 2023 coming soon! To be informed when we are running them please add your name to our waiting list below.
If you ride an e-bike or an e-scooter, it's important to look after its battery to help keep it safe and functional. Electrical Safety First has compiled a helpful guide to get the most from your battery, safely.
Private Maintenance Course for a group, such as your workplace, club or school. Available in sessions of two hours and can be tailored to specific mechanical areas or timings. Please email the Cycling Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See costs below.
Maintenance Course Description
With highly experienced Mechanics, our half-day cycle maintenance course will build on your cycle maintenance skills, whether you are a beginner or an intermediate mechanic. You will develop the essential skills needed to make a full diagnostic check of your bike and learn essential adjustments as well as some repairs. Our courses are for a maximum of 6 people so early bookings are recommended.
- Checking key parts of your bike for wear and tear, using the simple 5 minute assessment system employed by professional bike mechanics!
- Adjusting and balancing your brakes and replacing your brake pads
- Making some minor adjustments which will give you a more comfortable riding experience
- Removing your rear wheel, inner-tube, and tyre and repairing a puncture
- Cleaning and caring for your bike
- What you need in a basic tool kit
Courses are open to adults and children (children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult).
- Dr Bike - Free
- Bike Security Marking and Registration - £10.00 plus eventbrite fee (£1.55) per registration including barcoded labels
- Maintenance Course - £30 for a four hour session
Private Group Sessions
- Dr Bike - £100, 2hr session or £180 4hr session
- 10 minute slots are bookable in two or four hour sessions
- Average of 18 bikes seen in a two hour session = ave. £10 per bike
- Bike Security Marking and Registration - £160, 2hr session or £300 4hr session
- Bookable in two or four hour sessions sessions
- We will mark and register a minimum of 16 bikes in two hours, averaging £10 per bike including labels
- Maintenance Course - £150, 3hr session
- Experienced Bike Mechanics bookable in three hour sessions . Six people maximum
Once you have confirmed your course or place via email, to pay by bank transfer, our bank details are as follows:
- account name: RBK Direct Credit Account
- sortcode: 30-80-12
- account number: 14717168
- reference: “Bike Maintenance Course”
Important: when completed, please email email@example.com to confirm the date you put through your £20 bank transfer.
If you can’t make it to one of our courses, but still want to try some home maintenance, have a look at the basic bicycle maintenance manual provided free from the London Cyclist.