Dr Bikes and Maintenance Courses
Dr Bike Events
Dr. Bike is led by our experienced Bike Mechanics, they run a 10 minute check of each bike over a two or four hour session and make repairs within a 10 minute slot.
Mechanics will carry out Standard “M” checks of each bike, and can fix a range of issues including; adjusting brake levers, indexing gears and lubricating key mechanical parts.
They are totally independent and so any extensive issues that cannot be fixed onsite will be truthfully reported to the bike owner for them to manage.
What is a ‘M’ check?
Public Dr Bikes
Wed 15/02/2022 - 11.00 - 15.00 - Penrhyn Road Campus
Private Dr Bikes
If you are interested in holding a private Dr Bike event for your workplace or school, please email the Cycling Team at email@example.com. See costs below.
Bike Security Marking
The marking and registering is carried out by Police trained Instructors We only use the recognised BikeRegister system with a Tamper Resistant QR Barcode labels featuring a unique BikeRegister ID and secure owner data storage.
It is aimed at reducing thefts and helping the police return stolen bikes to owners, and in turn, securing convictions.
Bikes are over 80% less likely to be stolen when displaying the BikeRegister barcode label.
Bike Security Marking Sessions are available privarely.
See costs below.
Public Maintenance Course dates for 2023 coming soon! To be informed when we are running them please add your name to our waiting list below.
Private Maintenance Course for a group, such as your workplace, club or school. Available in sessions of two hours and can be tailored to specific mechanical areas or timings. Please email the Cycling Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See costs below.
Maintenance Course Description
With highly experienced Mechanics, our half-day cycle maintenance course will build on your cycle maintenance skills, whether you are a beginner or an intermediate mechanic. You will develop the essential skills needed to make a full diagnostic check of your bike and learn essential adjustments as well as some repairs. Our courses are for a maximum of 6 people so early bookings are recommended.
- Checking key parts of your bike for wear and tear, using the simple 5 minute assessment system employed by professional bike mechanics!
- Adjusting and balancing your brakes and replacing your brake pads
- Making some minor adjustments which will give you a more comfortable riding experience
- Removing your rear wheel, inner-tube, and tyre and repairing a puncture
- Cleaning and caring for your bike
- What you need in a basic tool kit
Courses are open to adults and children (children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult).
- Dr Bike - Free
- Bike Security Marking and Registration - Currently not available
- Maintenance Course - £30 for a four hour session
Private Group Sessions
- Dr Bike - £100, 2hr session or £180 4hr session
- 10 minute slots are bookable in two or four hour sessions
- Average of 18 bikes seen in a two hour session = ave. £10 per bike
- Bike Security Marking and Registration - £160, 2hr session or £300 4hr session
- Bookable in two or four hour sessions sessions
- We will mark and register a minimum of 16 bikes in two hours, averaging £10 per bike including labels
- Maintenance Course - £150, 3hr session
- Experienced Bike Mechanics bookable in three hour sessions . Six people maximum
Once you have confirmed your course or place via email, to pay by bank transfer, our bank details are as follows:
- account name: RBK Direct Credit Account
- sortcode: 30-80-12
- account number: 14717168
- reference: “Bike Maintenance Course”
Important: when completed, please email email@example.com to confirm the date you put through your £20 bank transfer.
If you can’t make it to one of our courses, but still want to try some home maintenance, have a look at the basic bicycle maintenance manual provided free from the London Cyclist.