Cycle skills for children
About the Bikeability courses
Our Bikeability course usually runs for two days over one week, for two hours each day.
- bike checks
- control skills
- highway code
- on-road cycling on quiet public roads
Riders are assessed on bicycle control, general road awareness and the ability to make simple journeys managing parked cars and junctions with other road users.
Children who complete the course receive a Bikeability badge and certificate recognising their achievement. Your child will be given feedback on their progress in the following topics:
- Identify and respond to hazards
- Start and stop on-road journeys
- Maintain suitable riding positions
- Share the road with others and communicate with other road users
- Comply with signals, signs and road markings
- Negotiate junctions (pass side roads, turn at T junctions, and crossroads and roundabouts if present).
Children Bikeability Level 1 and Level 2 via schools
Cycle skills for children follows the Bikeability programme, the national standard cycle training for children.
(When prompted by your school)
Term time school Bikeability courses are:
- for those in school years 5 and 6
- arranged with the school.
Holiday Bikeability courses are:
- take place during the school holidays
- for children going into Year 7 or above at the time of booking
- for children who either live or attend schools in the borough of Kingston
- offered on a first come first served basis, so early applications are advisable once the dates have been announced
Children Bikeability Advanced Level 2 & Level 3
Available dates for this service to be confirmed. Offered to confident cyclists, Only for children in Year 6 or above at the time of booking who have previously achieved their Bikeability Level 2. One cycling parent of similar ability or sibling / friend who have Level 2, are welcome to join the training to support each other on their cycling journeys.
The course aims to build skills so young cyclists feel more confident about undertaking longer journeys including main roads. A session can be shared by two cyclists of similar abilities.
Training is delivered over a single 2 hour session. Following a practical assessment of riders' skills, we will recap Bikeability Level 2 and proceed to learn more advanced skills such as:
how to deal with roundabouts, traffic light controlled junctions and main roads
cycling in heavier traffic