Buy, hire or loan a bike
Try Before You Bike
The flexible, affordable, supportive bike scheme
What is Try Before You Bike?:
- Try Before You Bike is a scheme that allows anyone who lives, works or studies in the borough to try out a new or nearly new bike for a monthly fee which you can claim back if you purchase the bike.
- The monthly fee to hire a bike starts at £10 per month for kids bikes, £30 per month for a standard hybrid bike or folding bike, £75 for an electric bike, £75 for an adaptive bike and £200 for an electric cargo bike
What type of bikes can I choose from?:
- All the bikes are from good quality makes such as Raleigh and Ridgeback and the online ordering system makes it simple to select the right size bike for you
- Choose from a range of bikes and accessories using the helpful guide to select the right one for you
What's included in the price?:
- FREE delivery to your door by a qualified cycle instructor or cycling expert who will help you get started
- Also included in the cost for all bikes is:
- insurance against theft and damage,
- essential accessories like lights and a lock.
- You can include additional accessories such as child seats, baskets and racks and pannier bags.
What happens after I try the bike?:
- If you love your bike you get the hire fees deducted from the price and you can pay the balance through an interest free payment plan or by using the Cycle to Work scheme
- Cycling not for you? Free collection of your bike and nothing further to pay
- Visit Peddle My Wheels to find out more and sign up.
I'm a beginner to bike riding - is there any training available?:
- If you are a beginner and require more training you may be able to get free cycle skills sessions through the Council’s cycle training program, details of which will be provided when you order your bike*
More about Try Before You Bike?
- Thousands of Londoners have started cycling using this flexible, supportive scheme and it is a great way to get into cycling if you are not ready to go out and buy a new bike yet.
How do I find out more?
- Find out more from our partners Peddle My Wheels who run the scheme on our behalf.
*subject to council funding