COVID-19: Grants for businesses
COVID-19: Grants for Businesses
Update: Kingston Council has distributed £45m in ‘Covid grants’ to local businesses, including over £14m since the autumn. As of 8 April 2021, over £680,000 has been distributed to local businesses from our Business Restrictions Hardship Grant. This fund is part of our Additional Restrictions Grant funding that will also be providing a range of business support initiatives over coming months.
Current grants for businesses
As of 1 April the range of grants available has been simplified:
- Restart Grants: supporting the reopening of businesses that pay business rates in ‘non-essential’ retail, hospitality, accomodation, leisure, personal care, gym and sports businesses. Access will be via an application form, available via the link below.
- Grants for businesses required to close during lockdown: The application window for grants for the period of ‘lockdown’ from 16 February to 31 March 2021 ends on 31 May 2021. Please see below for further information.
- Business Restrictions Hardship Grant: supporting many of those businesses not covered by other grants available here. Please keep checking this fund as we will be adding more eligible businesses.
Before applying for any of our grants you must read all of the information on its guidance page.
Links to the application forms can be found in their relevant sections below.
These grants are limited by the level of funding that has been made available to us. As such, we cannot guarantee that every application will be successful and we retain the right to adjust any aspect of the scheme at any point, to ensure successful delivery.
For businesses that were required to close
This fund is for businesses that pay business rates and were required to close due to the national lockdown, and is paid for defined periods of ‘lockdown’. For the lockdown’ period of 44 days starting on 16 Feb 2021: If you have applied for previous grants, we will again make these payments automatically if so there is no need to re-apply. If you have not applied for grants previously, you must apply using the link below before 31 May 2021.
How much will the grants be?
- £2,096 for businesses in property with a rateable value of up to £15,000:
- £3,143 for businesses in property with a rateable over £15,000 and less than £51,000
- £4,714 for businesses in property with a rateable value of £51,000 or greater
Eligible businesses will receive an email from us to confirm the amount to be paid.
These grants support ratepayers of non-essential retail, hospitality, accomodation, leisure, personal care, gym and sports businesses to reopen as COVID-19 restrictions are eased. All ratepayers will need to complete an application form as we are required by the government to gather additional information compared to previous grant schemes.
The Government has provided broad definitions of businesses eligible for this fund:
- Non-essential retail: a business that is open to the public and is used mainly or wholly for the purposes of retail sale or hire of goods or services, where the primary purpose of products or services provided are not necessary to the health and well-being of the public.
- Hospitality: a business whose main function is to provide a venue for the consumption and sale of food and drink
- Leisure: a business that provides opportunities, experiences and facilities, in particular for culture, recreation, entertainment, celebratory events, days and nights out, betting and gaming
- Accommodation: a business whose main lodging provision is used for holiday, travel and other purposes
- Gym and Sport: a commercial establishment where physical exercise or training is conducted on an individual basis or group basis, using exercise equipment or open floor space with or without instruction, or where individual and group sporting, athletic and physical activities are participated in competitively or recreationally
- Personal care: a business which provides a service, treatment or activity for the purposes of personal beauty, hair, grooming, body care and aesthetics, and wellbeing
More detail on who is eligible can be found in government guidance for the Restart Grants here.
How much funding is available?
Non-essential retail ratepayers occupying a property on 1 April 2021:
- with a rateable value of £15,000 or less, will receive a payment of £2,667
- with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, will receive a payment of £4,000
- with a rateable value of £51,000 or more, will receive a payment of £6,000
Hospitality, Accomodation, Leisure, Personal Care, Gym and Sports ratepayers occupying a property on 1 April 2021:
- with a rateable value of £15,000 or less, will receive a payment of £8,000
- with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, will receive a payment of £12,000
- with a rateable value of £51,000 or more, will receive a payment of £18,000
You can easily check your rateable value on your business rates bill here.
Businesses must have been trading on 1 April 2021 to be eligible to receive funding under this scheme. All eligible businesses must apply for grants using the online form below.
All applicants must provide accurate and truthful information. Any attempt to intentionally access grants that you are not eligible for will constitute fraud. All applications will be subject to validation checks to ensure eligibility.