About building control and more

Electrical work in your home

Your responsibilities as a home owner

Where you are having electrical work done in your home, make sure the work is:

You can find a registered electrician using the government's competent person scheme.

The building regulations

Part P of the building regulations says that DIY work and work carried out by non-registered traders should be checked and certified. As the property owner, you need to ensure that any electrical work complies with these rules.

You can still do your own electrical work or use an unregistered tradesperson, but you need to make a Building Regulations Application or have a member of an electrical competent persons’ scheme check the work and issue the notice and certificate. So it’s easier and safer if you use an electrician registered with the competent person scheme.

Electrical Safety Advice

Last Modified: 14/03/2022 14:17:50