About building control and more

Altering or extending your home

Most extensions or alterations to your home will need approval, including: 

  • Structural changes like underpinning, making a through lounge, partly removing a chimney breast
  • Changing a building’s use, like converting a garage into a room
  • Putting in, extending or changing drains, like putting in a new toilet under the stairs
  • Extending a building, like adding a kitchen extension or loft conversion
  • Replacing windows - unless your installer belongs to a recognised Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme
  • Some electrical installation work – unless your electrician belongs to a recognised Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme.

Pre-contract advice on building projects

For more advice on home improvement projects visit the Citizens Advice website for information and guidance on choosing a suitable trader.

How do I make an application?

The quickest way to apply is directly through the Planning Portal website. Alternatively, you can complete an application form and return it to us via email, ensuring to attach copies of your building plans, structural engineering designs and site location plans (where appropriate). Payment can be made directly through the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames website. Our charges are among the most competitive in London and start at just £665.00 inclusive of VAT for a simple extension. When the work starts or you need to schedule a site inspection, you can book this on-line through the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames website. If you prefer, you can always contact us on 020 8547 5002.

Planning permission

Many small extensions don’t need planning permission as they are within your development rights, but if you want to extend beyond specified limits and conditions you will need permission.

More on extentions via Planning portal

Last Modified: 14/03/2022 14:26:09