Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction

How to apply

If you live in the borough and you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit or a Council Tax Reduction (CTR), or you may qualify for both. Use our online benefits calculator and claim form to see how much Housing benefit or CTR you could get and then make a claim.

Renting from a private landlord - Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

If you rent a property or room from a private landlord, the amount of Housing Benefit you receive may be set by the Local Housing Allowance (LHA). You can read about LHA on the GOV.UK website before starting the online calculator and claim form: More about LHA from GOV.UK

Step by step guide to completing the form

The form asks for a lot of information but there are notes to help you. You can also save it at any point and return to it later. The form calls Housing Benefit ‘HB’ and Council Tax Benefit ‘CTB’ (this is now called the CTR Council Tax Reduction elsewhere).

Stage one - Benefits calculator

  • The first stage of the form estimates how much help you could receive based on the information you provide
  • The form asks you for details of your assets, capital and savings - for more information on what is included please see the section ‘Counting up your assets, savings and capital’.
  • If you study for more than 16 hours per week (full time student) you are unlikely to qualify for Housing Benefit. Our form will highlight this. But you should continue with the form if you are: 
    • looking after a child or young person 
    • aged 60 or over
    • disabled
    • receiving Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
    • aged under 21 in further education but not higher education
    • have a non-student partner (then it is the non-student who should make the claim)
  • If there are other people living in your home, aged over 18, they may affect how much benefit you receive. The form asks for details of these other people. For more information see the section ‘Other people living in your home’

Stage two - Claim form

  • If it looks like you could get Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, the calculator will automatically take you through to the claim form
  • The final step in the claim form is a list of all the documents you will need to send us to complete your claim

Stage three - Submit your documents to complete the claim

  • You can post your original documents to us or you can drop them into the Housing Benefit post box located on the ground floor of Guildhall 2, High Street, Kingston upon Thames  KT1 1EU
  • For further details on the documents you need to supply, see the section ‘Supporting documents for your claim’ 
  • Benefit office opening times:
    Monday: 9am to 5pm
    Tuesday – Friday: 9am to 1pm