Apply for planning permission

How to apply

It's easiest to make your planning permission application online through the Planning Portal. The standard application forms cover a range of consents, which can all be applied for online.

All you have to do is:

  • create an account
  • say what type of permission or consent you need
  • read through our validation list so you know what to upload with your application
  • upload all your documents 

Apply for planning permission       Pay for a planning application

Applications received from the Planning Portal outside of normal working hours Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm, not including bank holidays will be registered the following working day.

What can't you do online?

Although the Planning Portal's online form covers most applications - there are a few things it cannot do. 

Some single storey rear extensions do not need planning permission but you do need to notify us in writing before you start the work.Please read the "Do i need planning permission page" for more information.  

You cannot apply for associated consent or the modification or discharge of a Planning Obligation through the Planning Portal. For these you should contact us.

Problems applying online?

We recommend you apply online through the Planning Portal. If you have any difficulties or get stuck - the Planning Portal provides further information, guidance and video guides to help you apply.

Further guidance and the printed forms are available on the Planning Portal.

Download a paper form    Planning portal help

Working out your fee

The Planning Portal also tells you the cost of all planning applications, from a simple household extension to large-scale industrial estates, see the planning fees

You can work out how much you have to pay before making your application by using the planning portal's online calculator. You can also pay your fees online when you make your application with them, 

People with disabilities 

People with disabilities may not have to pay for certain works. You can read through the regulations and then contact us if you want to discuss them in more detail.

Works for disabled people - The Town and Country Planning Regulations 2012

Community Infrastructure Levy 

If you’re applying for planning permission which creates additional floor space, you may also have to pay the Mayor of London’s Community Infrastructure Levy.

Read more about the Community Infrastructure Levy

Last Modified: 20/10/2022 14:39:54