Living Well at Home

Occupational Therapy

Occupational therapists focus on making the things that matter to people possible again, this may be following a significant illness or through a disability. The occupational therapists will look at your strengths, your home environment and how you are able to participate in daily life.

The service can offer you an assessment, give you advice and may be able to provide you with equipment and adaptations to help you remain independent at home and within your local community.

Some examples of activities where the occupational therapy team may be able to help you:

  • Being able to manage your personal hygiene
  • Managing a basic drink and snack preparation
  • Managing steps or stairs within your property 
  • Being able to get in and out of your property safely

Professional advice from a member of the occupational therapy team is free and can be accessed via the contact centre on 020 8547 5005.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG)

DFG can help fund adaptations to your home to make it suitable for you if you're disabled.

After a means test, if you qualify, then the grant may cover costs up to £30,000. Any costs above this will need to be met by yourself or discussed with your council.

Asking for an assessment

You will need to contact an occupational therapist for an assessment before you can apply for a DFG.

They will be able to recommend which adaptations are necessary and appropriate to meet your needs.

If you're 18 or over contact the Adult Social Care Contact Centre.

Applying for the grant

Once your council have agreed with you which works are to be grant funded, they will provide you with a 'Disabled Facilities Grant application form'.

Your council cannot pay a retrospective grant for works you have carried out prior to a full grant approval.

Last Modified: 28/02/2023 14:47:51