Direct Payments and prepaid card bank accounts
What is a Direct Payment?
A Direct Payment is money that is paid to you (or someone acting on your behalf) by Kingston Council so you can arrange your own support. You will need to sign a Direct Payment agreement with Kingston Council that sets out the rules that you need to follow.
How can I get a Direct Payment?
We'll need to meet you to talk about the type and amount of support you will need and what you would like to get out of it. This is called an 'assessment' and is free.
Please see further information on personal budgets.
What is a prepaid card account?
A prepaid card account is a bank account arranged for you to receive your Direct Payment. It is just like a current account from your bank and you can use it to pay for services that meet your needs identified in your support plan.
Kingston Council will open this account for you and make payments straight into the bank account. It is kept separate from your personal accounts.
You can use the account to pay:
- In person using chip and pin
- By standing orders or direct debits
- By bank transfers over the internet or telephone
- Cash payments if there is no alternative
- You can check account balances and statements online, over the telephone or at a cash machine (ATM)
Benefits of a Direct Payment bank account (Prepaid card account)
There are several benefits to using a prepaid card bank account:
- You do not need to open a separate bank account or provide us with regular monitoring forms, receipts or invoices;
- It is simpler to use than a traditional bank account;
- You cannot go overdrawn or get into debt;
- You can choose a trusted person to help you to manage the account if you would like support with this;
- Any surplus can be returned to Kingston Council via a bank transfer as agreed with you;
- More time to complete reviews of your support;
- No credit checks.
How do I receive a prepaid card bank account?
Contact your social care team to discuss your options and eligibility: 0208 547 5005.
As soon as we have agreed and received completed documents from you, and agreed your support plan Kingston Council will open the bank account.
If you are an existing Direct Payment user and wish to receive a prepaid card bank account, please discuss with your social care worker who can advise and support you in the transition.
Cards and bank details are sent directly to your address once created.
ASC Direct Payments
ASC Direct PaymentsAddress: