Social care and assessments

Request an assessment

Before we can offer you care and support services we will need to find out more about your circumstances. A needs assessment gives us an opportunity to look at a person's needs and work with you to put in place the best care and support. 

Request an assessment

You can use our online contact form to book an assessment with us - when we can talk about your care and support needs.

The form gathers all the details we need. Where we ask why you are contacting us, please explain that it is to request an assessment. We will then get in touch to arrange a time for the assessment.

Alternatively you can contact us by phone on 0208 547 5005

What to expect

A social worker/social care assessor will come to visit you and your carer or family member. 

You'll be sent a self-assessment form to complete before you meet with the assessor. The form will help you to think about your needs and what is important in your life. 

Don’t worry if you can’t complete it before your appointment - the assessor will go through the form with you to make sure that we have all the information we need to help you. You can also get help with completing the form from your carer, a family member, friend or an advocate. 

With your permission, we may need to share information about you with other agencies or health professionals that become involved with your care.

During the assessment

During the assessment, we will discuss the help and support available to you based on your needs.  If you're eligible under the Care Act factsheets we'll help to arrange your social care services.  

If your needs are less severe, or you're not eligible, we will offer you information and advice about other services and organisations which may help you live a more independent life and ways that you might find funding to pay for them.

If you're in hospital, a social worker will discuss the help you and your carer will need when you leave.

After the assessment

Following your assessment a support plan will be agreed with you. It will detail the support that you need and include the following:

  • What help you will get and who will provide it.
  • When and how often you will get help.
  • Contact details of the team who make sure you get help.
  • When help will start and when reviews will take place to make sure we are still meeting your needs.
  • Details of care needs which cannot be met and why.
  • What to do if you are unhappy with the service.

Will I be charged for the services I receive?

You may be charged for some services, but we will carry out a financial assessment to work out if you need to contribute to your care and how much.  We will also make sure you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to. To find out how much you might have to pay, try our Online Financial Assessment Calculator


If you would like some support with your assessment and care planning you can use an advocate - someone who offers independent support. 

More information can be found on the Cambridge House website, who provide advocacy in Kingston: Cambridge House Advocacy

Challenging decisions on social care 

Things can go wrong in the social care system; something might happen that you're not happy about or that you don't think is right.

Common problems include:

  • assessments that don’t accurately reflect the needs of the person

  • care and support plans that don’t meet all eligible needs  

  • personal budgets that are not enough to cover the costs of the support needed, or that are cut

  • charges that are too much to afford.

Whilst it can be very stressful and worrying if something does go wrong, there are ways you can challenge all of these things.

Whether your personal budget has been cut or it is not enough to cover the costs of the support you need, there are ways you can challenge these decisions.

Challenging a decision

If something has gone wrong and you want to challenge a decision, try the following steps:

1. Contact us

Contact your social care team to discuss your options on: 0208 547 5005.

2. Complain to the Local Government Ombudsman

If you are not happy with the response to your complaint, you can then complain to the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO). The LGO investigates complaints where the council may have made the decision in the wrong way. They can recommend what the council can do to make up for their decision. You can find more information about this on the LGO website.

3. Ask a solicitor for help

A solicitor can tell you if a judicial review may be possible. A judicial review is the way that people can challenge the lawfulness of a decision made by a public body such as a local authority. A judge will look at how the decision was made. To find a local solicitor who can help with social care issues, search the justice website and tick the Community Care box. Find out if you qualify for legal aid to fund your use of a solicitor on the website.


Last Modified: 04/01/2021 15:47:45