Transport and parking - Accessible transport for disabled and older people

More in "Transport and parking"

National information

GOV.UK provides information on transport for the disabled
GOV.UK - Transport if you're disabled.


All buses in the borough and neighbouring London boroughs are wheelchair accessible. However, buses based in Surrey may not be.

Trains (over ground)

Kingston and Surbiton Station (operated by South West Trains) are the only wheelchair accessible over ground stations in the borough.  South West Trains offer travel assistance, including wheelchair access onto the train. They also provide train information in braille, audio and large print versions: 
Assisted travel with South West trains
Contact South West Trains for train information

Underground trains (tube) and London transport

Transport for London can help you plan a journey on public transport. They can also arrange for someone to come with you on your first few trips.
More about assisted travel with TfL


If you're disabled and can't use public transport, you can try the free Dial-a-Ride service.
More about dial-a-ride from TfL


Taxicard holders make subsidised journeys in licensed London taxis and private hires vehicles. A review of inactive users has taken place and Taxicard holders who have not used the scheme since April 2012 have been removed. For more information.
More about Taxicard

Freedom passes

These give older and disabled Londoners free travel on almost all public transport in London. You can read about the freedom pass on the London Council website and check your eligibility. 

If you are applying for an older persons freedom pass you can apply online through the London Council website.
If you are applying for a disabled persons freedom pass you need to check whether you are eligible on the London Council website and then contact us. If we confirm you are eligible we will give you a letter of authorisation to take with you to the Post Office to apply for your pass. The London Council website describes how you apply at the Post Office.
More about freedom passes from London Councils

Community transport (for groups)

Richmond and Kingston Accessible Transport provides accessible transport services for charities, voluntary and community organisations based in Richmond and Kingston upon Thames.
Richmond and Kingston Accessible Transport