We will respect the privacy of all of our customers and the following checks will be carried out to clarify the identity and status of a customer before we will disclose any personal information or make any changes to our computer records.
- We will check a customer is who they say they are, we will do this by checking personal details against those held on our records. If necessary we will ask for further evidence or identification.
- If a third party (adult or organisation) is acting on behalf of a customer, we will request authorisation or evidence from the customer giving authority for them to act on their behalf.
- If a Councillor or MP is acting on behalf of a customer, we will request authorisation or evidence from the customer giving authority for them to act on their behalf.
- Information gathered by the Council maybe disclosed to other local authorities, police authorities and government departments where this is required and permissible within the law.
- The Council may check information about you from certain third parties to prevent fraud or provide better services.
- We will not share sensitive or personal information about you across Council services unless it is necessary or appropriate to deal with your case or query.
- Under Freedom of Information legislation you have a right of access to ‘recorded’ information held by the Council. Recorded information may be in any form including reports, e mails and letters. Where a request is submitted under this legislation the Council has a duty to provide it within 20 working days. Some information is “exempt” from disclosure and when this occurs the Council will say this is so.