Kingston upon Thames
Queens Promenade is a long narrow strip of land bordering the river Thames and stretching south from Kingston Bridge to Ravens Ait. A great deal of its length fronts onto the Portsmouth Road. For simplicity, the Charter Quay has been included within the Queen Promenade. It is approximately 1.5 kilometres long and just over 1.5 acres in size.
The Charter Quay development, built on 3.5 acres of derelict land, has been a major contributor in opening up the riverfront and the historic market town to pedestrians, enabling visitors and residents to walk from Ravens Ait right through to Richmond and beyond to Putney. Walking along the broadwalk one can pause to enjoy the numerous varieties of bird and wild fowl and the newly created wetland habitat.
In the past there were a number of mills and salmon fisheries along the river. Their significance is reflected in the choice of Royal Kingston’s official emblem, three salmon on a green background. Now there are a number of very nice cafés, public houses and restaurants located along the river from Kingston Bridge down to Parrs Landing stage. Boat rides can be booked from the Turks Launches (established since 1710) and Parr Landing stages. Trips can be taken either down river to Richmond or up river to Hampton Court. A good dropping off point is Hampton Court Palace, especially during the Hampton Court Flower Show. It is possible to go down river as far as Westminster (change at Richmond) with a number of stop off points on route. Contacts for both companies are listed below. The daily river trips starts at Easter and continue through till the end of September.
At its confluence (the last stage of its journey) the Hogsmill River enters into the Thames just after flowing under the Clattern Bridge, reference of which dates back to approximately 1293..
Close by, and a reminder of past Saxon times, is Kingston’s famous Coronation stone, probably the borough’s most notable possession. It currently stands close by to the Clattern Bridge over the Hogsmill River outside the Guildhall complex. A silver penny noting the reign of each King set into the plinth of the stone. Further information can be found by contacting Kingston tour guides or Kingston museum, contact details are listed below.
Buses to this area include the 218 and 471.